There Are No Surprises
OFF THE STREET
b) Mercedes Benz?
While other car companies bash it out to see who can offer the biggest ‘employee discount pricing’ and furniture retailers fight to see who can wait the longest to get paid with ‘don’t pay until you die’ events, German manufacturers benefit tremendously from promoting their category, German engineering.
Are you still battling your ‘competitors’ in radio for diminishing market share, or are you ready to promote the radio category to the benefit of all radio broadcasters?
A few weeks ago my friend, Eric Rhoades, publisher of Radio Ink, wrote an open letter to all radio broadcasters, which said, among other things;
Sadly, only 2 percent of you will take my suggestion, and the other 98 percent will find fault with it. The good news is that the 2 percent will gain favor with advertisers.
Is there a way to get advertisers to spend money in radio during these lean times? Maybe. The indirect nature of this strategy may make you uncomfortable, but I ask you to keep an open mind, because it is a huge opportunity for radio.
It’s the right thing to do. If radio as an industry is known for helping local businesses without asking anything in return, we will improve our image in the eyes of retailers.
Lift the tide for all of radio. Every station will benefit, and you’ll have 10 times more retailers present than if you held a single-station event. If all the stations in town promote this on the air, businesses will come out of the woodwork. This is about growing radio. If radio gets credit for helping local retailers, the laws of reciprocity will kick in and they will help radio.
This is only part of Eric’s letter. I can forward it in its entirety upon request.
ENS Media Inc. has two distinct client seminars you can choose from if you decide to promote the radio category in your market.
Both sessions guarantee; “All attendees will get a minimum of three good ideas to grow their business even if they never use radio.” Each session also begins with a candid disclosure, “Advertising cannot make a bad business a good business. If you are not getting repeat or referral business there is something inherently wrong with your business that advertising probably cannot cure.”
While our client sessions do not sell radio specifically, one local ad agency executive who attended our session recently said, “That was the most cleverly-disguised radio pitch I have ever seen.”
Are you ready to make radio the ‘German Engineering’ of the media world? Contact [email protected].
Being the Best That You Can Be
Countdown to Prosperity
Since the end of World War II 1945, we’ve experienced 10 economic cycles.
During that period the average decline lasted 10 months, and the average recovery lasted 57 months.